Contact the Chair's Office
Contact Planning Board Chair Françoise Carrier through the Commissioners’ Office, 301-495-4605.
About the Planning Board
The five-member Montgomery County Planning Board, part of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, works to maintain and improve quality of life in our community. Acting upon such issues as growth, transportation, environmental protection, agriculture, historical preservation and forest conservation, the Planning Board affects your everyday life. In fact, the Board is largely responsible for setting land use and protecting parkland resources throughout the 323,000-acre county.
The Planning Board, which usually meets each Thursday in the auditorium at 8787 Georgia Ave., Silver Spring, welcomes public participation. Meet the Planning Board.
More specifically, the Planning Board:
- Considers large- and small-scale plans for new development
- Provides guidelines for the pattern and pace of future development
- Develops and manages Montgomery County's nationally recognized 32,900-acre park system
- Recommends to the County Council which sites receive historic designations
- Learn about our latest accomplishments in our semi-annual reports.
- Read our Rules of Procedure specifying how we run public hearings as well as how to testify before the Board.
- Download the Planning Board rules used in enforcement proceedings.
- See us on our Cable Shows. To showcase how the Montgomery Planning Board and professional planning staff are working to enhance quality of life in our community, check out our cable program, Montgomery Plans.
- Learn how park staff and planners acquire and manage parks, design communities, establish environmental protections, and preserve farms and cultural sites in our video library.
- Stay Informed! Subscribe to our e-newsletter
- Sign up online to testify
The Planning Board welcomes your input on items that come before them. We can accept speakers up to 10 days in advance of a Planning Board hearing.