Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a bi-county agency founded in 1927 to protect the natural resources and plan for orderly development in the two suburban counties bordering the District of Columbia. As part of M-NCPPC, the Montgomery County Planning Department¬†and Department of Parks¬†are celebrating the 90 th anniversary of the Commission through monthly events that will tell our story and increase public understanding of our planning, parks and recreation work.
Our logo for the year-long celebration of M-NCPPC symbolizes our commitment to excellence with 90 represented in the Roman numerals XC. Review the timeline below chronicling key events in the history of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission and Montgomery Planning.
January 1, 2014
New Zoning Ordinance
Montgomery County‚Äôs new zoning ordinance was enacted.
January 1, 2001
Legacy Open Space Program Adopted
The Legacy Open Space Program was adopted to preserve open space, watersheds and historic properties through the purchase of land or easements.
January 1, 1990
The Capital Crescent Trail was developed.
January 1, 1980
Ag Reserve Created
The Agricultural Reserve was established to preserve open space and limit development within the northern and northwestern parts of Montgomery County.
January 1, 1979
Historic Preservation Initiatives Taken
The Master Plan for Historic Preservation and the Historic Preservation Ordinance were adopted.
January 1, 1973
The Moderately Priced Dwelling Unit (MPDU) Program and the first Adequate Public Facilities Ordinance, which served as Montgomery County‚Äôs growth policy, were adopted.
January 1, 1964
Regional Parks Established
Regional parks were established in Montgomery County, starting with Wheaton and Brookside Gardens.
January 1, 1964
General Plan Adopted
The General Plan on Wedges and Corridors was adopted to set aside areas for permanent open spaces and development in Montgomery County.
January 1, 1957
Planning Boards Created
M-NCPPC established two Planning Boards, one for Montgomery County and another for Prince George‚Äôs County.
January 1, 1927
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission was established to protect waterways and provide a comprehensive park system within Montgomery and Prince George‚Äôs Counties.