Enjoy campfires, nature walks, guided historic hikes and tours and the annual Monarch Fiesta Day and more!
SILVER SPRING, MD—Montgomery Parks, part of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is offering a variety of fun and educational activities the whole family will enjoy this Labor Day weekend. Please find a sampling below and visit www.MontgomeryParks.org/guide for a complete listing of programs.
MONTGOMERY PARKS LABOR DAY WEEKEND ACTIVITIES
Friday, August 30, 2013:
Saturday, August 31, 2013:
- Underground Railroad Free Guided Hike at Woodlawn Manor Cultural Park from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. Join talented volunteer conductors on a simulated Underground Railroad Experience hike along a two mile trail. You’ll learn about various techniques freedom seekers used to elude trackers, find food and navigate their way north to freedom.
- The annual Monarch Fiesta Day at Black Hill Regional Park from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. A free celebration of the Monarch butterfly and its amazing annual migration to Mexico, featuring Monarch tagging and release, tours of the Monarch Waystation, an insect hunt, Monarch movies and more.
Sunday, September 1, 2013:
- Can You Canoe at Black Hill Regional Park at 9:00 a.m. Spend two hours with an expert instructor learning various ways to use a canoe. Canoes, paddles and vests are all provided with registration fee of $16. Visit www.ParkPASS.org (Course #245960) to register.
MONTGOMERY PARKS LABOR DAY WEEKEND OPERATING HOURS:
Black Hill Regional Park:
- Black Hill Boats: Open August 31 – September 2, 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Last boat is rented at 5:30 p.m.)
- Black Hill Visitor Center: Open August 31, 10:00 a.m. – 6 p.m., September 1 and 2, 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Cabin John Regional Park:
- Cabin John Train: Open August 31 – September 2, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- Locust Grove Nature Center: Open August 31, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., September 1, 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (CLOSED Labor Day, Monday, September 2)
- Pauline Betz Addie Tennis Center: Open August 31, 6:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m., September 1, 6:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m. (CLOSED Labor Day, Monday, September 2)
- Cabin John Ice Rink: CLOSED all weekend August 31 – September 2.
Little Bennett Regional Park:
- Little Bennett Campground: Open August 31, 10:00 a.m. – 8:30 p.m., September 1, 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., September 2, 10:00 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. (Two-night minimum stay required.)
Olney Manor Recreational Park:
- Olney Skate Park: Open August 31, 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. (10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: Beat the Heat Session; ½ Price Admission); September 1, 1p.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Open Skate Session); September 2, 11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (Open Skate Session).
Rock Creek Regional Park:
South Germantown Recreational Park
Wheaton Regional Park:
“Wings of Fancy” Exhibit: Open August 31 – September 2, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Brookside Gardens Conservatory: Open August 31 – September 2, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.;
Marylandica Gift Shops: Open August 31 – September 2, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Park Permits Office: CLOSED all weekend: August 31 – September 2
- All regional and recreational fields: CLOSED Labor Day, Monday, September 2
*All other parks and facilities are operating on standard schedules listed on www.MontgomeryParks.org.
About Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning – Montgomery Parks
Montgomery Parks manages more than 35,000 acres of parkland, consisting of 418 parks. Montgomery Parks is a department of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC), a bi-county agency established in 1927 to steward public land. The M-NCPPC has been nationally recognized for its high quality parks and recreation services and is regarded as a national model by other parks systems. www.montgomeryparks.org
# # #