Five temporary acting Planning Board members appointed by the County Council
October 27, 2022
Chair Jeff Zyontz, Vice Chair Amy Presley, and Planning Board members Cherri Branson, David Hill, and Roberto Piñero will serve interim terms; Planning Board meetings resume on November 3
WHEATON, MD – The Montgomery County Planning Board, part of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) today welcomed five new temporary acting Planning Board members. Appointed by the Montgomery County Council on Thursday, October 27, in a special session, the new Planning Board members include Chair Jeff Zyontz (D), Vice Chair Amy Presley (R), and Planning Board members Cherri Branson (D), David Hill (I), and Roberto Piñero (D). Each will serve interim terms until the next County Council appoints permanent Planning Board members to serve out the terms of the previous Planning Board members. The Chair is a full-time position, and the other Planning Board member positions are part-time.
The appointment of the five new temporary acting Planning Board members comes after the Montgomery County Council accepted the resignations of the previous Planning Board on October 12. The typical process is that the terms of the Planning Board members are staggered so that no more than two are replaced in any given year.
“We are appreciative of the confidence that County Council President Albornoz and his Council colleagues have shown in the notable work of the Montgomery Parks and Planning Departments,” said M-NCPPC Executive Director Asuntha Chiang-Smith. “Acknowledging the Council’s recognition that our work should not be halted, we will continue to strive to provide the excellent service our residents expect under the guidance of the temporary Board, and until the newly elected County Council can appoint permanent Planning Board members after the November election.”
The five-member Montgomery County Planning Board oversees Montgomery Parks and Montgomery Planning. The Planning Board advises the County Council on land use planning and community planning in Montgomery County. The Montgomery County Planning Board also serves with the Prince George’s County Planning Board to make up the M-NCPPC Full Commission.
About the new Temporary Acting Planning Board members
- Jeff Zyontz – Jeff Zyontz has been appointed Chair of the Planning Board. He is the former Council legislative attorney and former planner with M-NCPPC.
- Amy L. Presley – Amy L. Presley has been appointed Vice Chair of the Planning Board. She served two terms on the Planning Board from June 2008 to July 2016. Presley is the founder and managing partner of Trusted Estate Partners, a real estate company based in Clarksburg.
- Cherri Branson – Cherri Branson is the former director of the Montgomery County Office of Procurement and served as interim Councilmember representing District 5 in 2014.
- David Hill – David Hill served as a Commissioner on the City of Rockville Planning Commission from 2006 to 2016 and is a senior systems analyst at Westat.
- Roberto R. Piñero – Roberto Piñero has been a senior analyst focused on housing, financial markets and community investment with the U.S. Government Accountability Office and has served as a Housing Commissioner with the Housing Opportunities Commission. He most recently served on the Montgomery County Board of Appeals.
View the Montgomery County Council press release.
View the November 3 Montgomery Planning Board Agenda.
About The Montgomery County Planning Board
The Montgomery County Planning Board plans for livable communities by developing large- and small-scale plans, providing guidelines for the pattern and pace of future development, and preserving historic resources throughout the 323,000-acre county. The Planning Board implements plans through its review of development applications and its subdivision decisions. The Planning Board is also responsible for the development and management of Montgomery County’s nationally recognized 36,512-acre park system. No more than three Planning Board members may be from the same political party and all members must be residents and registered voters in Montgomery County when appointed.
About the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC)
Founded in 1927, The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission (M-NCPPC) is a nationally recognized leader in land use planning, parks, and recreation achieving countless awards for innovation, stewardship, and exemplary vision for enhancing the lives of current and future generations. The agency, which is chartered by the State of Maryland, has geographic authority in the Montgomery County and Prince George’s County region, which are the two Maryland counties surrounding Washington, DC. The agency improves the well-being of over 2 million residents and countless visitors within this region by:
- Planning for the coordinated and harmonious physical growth and development of the region
- Protecting and stewarding natural, cultural, and historical resources
- Providing award winning system of parks
- Creating recreational experiences that enhance quality of life of all individuals
- Planning great communities that are vibrant, livable, accessible and sustainable
The Commission is comprised of seven distinct departments, each led by their respective Department Head. The Prince George’s Department of Parks and Recreation and the Prince George’s Department of Planning carry out services for the Prince George’s County region. The Montgomery Department of Parks and the Montgomery Department of Planning carry out services for Montgomery County. Bi-county corporate management is carried out by the Department of Human Resources and Management, the Department of Finance, and the Office of the General Counsel. Other Bi-county functions include the Office of Inspector General, the Chief Information Officer, and Merit System Board. The Commission’s governing body is comprised of ten Commissioners, five appointed to the Montgomery Planning Board and five appointed to the Prince George’s Planning Board, which have oversight of decisions for the Montgomery and Prince George’s region. The Commission appoints the bi- county officers of the Executive Director, Secretary-Treasurer, and General Counsel.
Montgomery Planning (M-NCPPC)
Bridget.Broullire@montgomeryplanning.org or 301.641.0457