Sign Up to Testify
Sign up to speak before the Planning Board
To speak on an item on the Planning Board’s agenda, please fill in the blanks below. To find an item number go to the relevant Planning Board agenda. Online sign up is generally available beginning 10 days prior to the hearing date. On the day of the meeting, please see the Board Assistant to sign up to speak. If you need assistance to complete this form, please contact staff in the Chair’s Office via email at MCP-Chair@mncppc-mc.org or call 301-495-4605.
NOTE: Once you have signed up to speak on an item before the Planning Board, your name becomes part of the official public record.
Instructions and Important Information
- The Planning Board’s Agenda is subject to change and certain items may be postponed or added. For meeting updates or to view the Planning Board proceedings live on our website, visit www.montgomeryplanningboard.org.
- The order of agenda items is for the convenience of the Planning Board schedule and in no way indicates the order in which items will be called. Please plan to arrive at the scheduled start time for either the morning or afternoon meeting when your item is calendared.
- The Planning Board encourages public testimony unless otherwise noted on the agenda. Refer to the Planning Board Rules of Procedure for more information on public testimony. Any individual or organization may submit a written statement for consideration by the Planning Board. Written comments must be received in the Chair’s office at least 24 hours in advance of the Planning Board hearing date, referencing the hearing date and item, to be reviewed by the Board and included in the official record of the hearing. Comments should be transmitted via e-mail to MCP-Chair@mncppc-mc.org, faxed to Chair Casey Anderson at 301-495-1320, or addressed to: Casey Anderson, Chair, Montgomery County Planning Board, 8787 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20910. Written comments received within 24 hours before a hearing date will be placed in the file, but will not be considered by the Planning Board or included in the official record of the hearing.
- Written copies of testimony or other correspondence will not be accepted or distributed at the hearing.
- If you plan to show a PowerPoint presentation, a printed copy of your presentation should be given to the Board Assistant at the end of the dais prior to your meeting item. PowerPoint and other electronic presentations that are shown during public hearings will be entered into the official record and will not be returned.
- The Board Chair has discretion to arrange the order of testimony, and speakers may be grouped by subject matter, issue of concern, or group affiliation.
- The Chair may set time limits for oral testimony at public hearings on regulatory items. Group representatives are typically allotted ten minutes, and individuals testifying on their own behalf are typically allotted three minutes; however, the Chair has the discretion to set longer or shorter time limits.
- The Chair may require individuals with similar or related positions to divide available time and avoid duplicative testimony. Individuals are ordinarily not allowed to yield their allotted time to another person offering testimony.
- Time allotted to speakers on non-regulatory items is also at the Chair’s discretion. Public testimony is typically not permitted on reconsideration requests (as opposed to a public hearings to reconsider an item), contract awarding, work sessions, briefings, and roundtable discussions.
- Only one individual may serve as the representative of a group (such as a civic or homeowner’s association) for purposes of requesting time to speak. Others speaking in support of a group’s position are allotted time to speak in an individual capacity, but should identify their affiliation or support of that position at the time they sign up to testify so speakers with similar views may be heard at the same time, where feasible.